22 December 2008

Broccoli Rice Casserole

Heather S

This is part 3 in the series of Thanksgiving recipes.


-1 cup chopped celery (optional, but I use it)
-3 tablespoons butter (used for sautéing later in recipe)
-broccoli (the recipe calls for 1-2 boxes, I use about 1 small bag and about a quarter or half of another small bag. I buy the frozen kind, then just cook it as directed on the package)
-1 can cream of chicken soup
-1 can evaporated milk (I don't remember how many ounces, but it's about the same size as a soup can).
-1 jar of Cheese Whiz (they have one that is 8 oz., but I use the bigger size up from that one, approximately 15 oz.).
-1 cup chopped onion
-3 cups cooked rice (regular rice and not instant)


Cook rice as directed on package. Cook broccoli as directed on package over the stovetop until soft and then drain. (Sometimes, I cut the broccoli up a little smaller with kitchen scissors, just because some of it is in pretty big chunks.) Sauté onion and celery in butter. Add soup and evaporated milk to onion and celery. Add cheese whiz to onion, celery, soup and milk mixture...let simmer about 1 minute. Put broccoli, rice and cheese mixture in bowl and stir a little. Pour into a 9x13” pan. Cook for 30-40 minutes at 350°.

Depending on how many you are cooking for, you can divide this into two dishes. I sometimes freeze half of it before I cook it. You can thaw it in the fridge for about 24 hours and then cook it as usual.

No comments: